Thursday, April 3, 2008

Yay Medical Microbiology

Ok...funny story...and this time it's not about bacteria. It's about FUNGI! We started the mycology section of our class today. There's not many pathogenic fungi (aka harmful disease causing fungi) in this world but they often cause unharmful diseases of the skin. Today we dicussed a fungi called Malassezia furfura. It causes a superficial skin infection that's not harmful, it just makes discolored patches on your skin. When class got over there was a seven person line to the teachers podium and I kid you not, half of those ppl were showing our professor their arms and asking if they had a fungal infection. I got a good chuckle out of it. This same professor announced today that our test on Friday is in a different smaller room and thus some of us will have to sit on the floor. awesome.

3 comments:

annasibb said...

Don't you love how no one ever listens anymore? Good luck with that test sitting on the floor. I think I would bring my pillow and lay down. :)

Big Al said...

sarah did you ask him about the mark by your eye? You could have Malassezia furfura. Don't worry I might have it to, the doctor said it is between Malassezia furfura and herpes he can't decide. If it is herpes it will be the third time I got it from a goat

Sarah Marie said...

You can't cold sores from a goat...and herpes is viral infection not a fungal one...not to ruin your funny or anything with my nerd like attributes. :)